WordPress 3.0 “Thelonious” is finally here, and not a moment too soon. There are some pretty major new features involved in the release, including a slick new default theme called “Twenty Ten.” Theme editors have all new APIs which help them easily add in custom backgrounds, headers, menus, post types and shortlinks.
Developers and net admins alike are going to love the integration of WPMU and WordPress. This creates a new multi-site functionality that makes it possible to run just one blog or ten million from the same installation… such as we have on Lockergnome. This is something I have long waited for, and I believe it’s going to make things a whole lot easier for our community bloggers – and myself.
Users will love the new interface, I think. It’s lighter and has contextual help on every single screen. There are more than a thousand bug fixes and feature enhancements. Also, we now have the ability to “bulk update,” allowing you to upgrade all of your plugins at once with a single click.
The team at WordPress won’t be getting to work immediately on the next release. In their blog, they stated that “Over the next three months we’re going to split into ninja/pirate teams focused on different areas of the around-WordPress experience, including the showcase, Codex, forums, profiles, update and compatibility APIs, theme directory, plugin directory, mailing lists, core plugins, wordcamp.org… the possibilities are endless.”
- iPhone trade-ins are skyrocketing.
- Life is what you make it…
- Do you think that pre-ordering items is a waste of time and money?
- Will motion-based sensors for gaming consoles catch on?
- Would you buy a refurbished laptop if the price was right?
- Could Android and iOS be long-lost twins?
- Which movie or television character would you want to be?
- Rock legend Ozzy Osbourne will be genetically decoded.
- Will HP and Yahoo be spamming select printers?
- The recent OS X update includes a vulnerable – and outdated – version of Flash.
- Which photo-sharing site do you prefer to use?
- Twitter has started rolling ads into the trending topics.
- Verizon refuses to block P2P file sharing.
- What types of RSS feeds do you subscribe to?
- How bad IS Comcast, anyway?
- Are you nothing more than one of America’s “small people?”
- What do you do when a tornado warning has been issued nearby?
- Do you regularly use more than one browser?
- Which WordPress theme is your favorite?
- What is Samsung’s response to the iPad?
- How do you update your iPod Touch and iPhone to iOS 4?
- Are you having issues with the GPS in your iPad?
- Does Apple need to relax their software limits?
- Are you a teen Geek?
- Do you believe in the 2012 conspiracy theory?
Be sure to stop by our software center to check out the latest apps and software for all of your devices.