I recently did a video with tips from a police officer on how to get out of a traffic ticket. Here are GTPeach’s tips on what to do, should you ever have to go to court.
- Nolo contendre (or no contest) is your friend. This best friend of new people allows for a person to plea nolo 1 time every few years (varies depending on state). This plea is a compromise. You pay the fine, but it won’t go on your record and your insurance will never see it, which means no points. And after all, that’s what most people don’t want.
- Defensive driving. Take this class. When you complete it, you can do seevral things with it. You can send it to your insurance company and they will usually give you a discount for having taken the class. You can also take it to the DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) and they will automatically remove 5 points from your license.
- Talk to the solicitor/prosecutor before the case is tried. A lot of them work with you, especially if you don’t have a huge record. They’ve been known to knoc recklesses down a bit. Also, a lot of times for speeding, if you are just a few MPH oevr a cutoff (especially those of you that are so close to 21 but not quite therE) they will trade you community service or defensive driving for a reduced speed, which will allow you to keep your license. It’s worth trying to make a deal because the worst that could happen is a no.
- Along similar lines, bargain even when you know there’s no deal on reducing speed or dropping tickets. If you have a suspended icense, for example, all hope is not lost. Most times, they will give you a provisional license if you ask for it. This allows you to drive to and from work, school, and religious activities. It isn’t a full license, it usually has a curfew, and if you’re caught going to and from anywhere but those placeas you’re totally busted and won’t be allowed to drive, but that type of license is better than nothing, especially if you have bills to pay.
- Know your state times. For instance, know how many years it takes to have something disappear from a record, how many points you can accrue before your license is suspened, how many years you have to wait before ebign allowed to plea nolo again. Also, know age limitations. If you’re under 21, a bnolo plea will do you very little good because they are required to report those cases, so you might want to save it for a rainy over 21 day.
- Goes without saying – Don’t Be Dumb!! If you drink and drive you DESERVE to be off the road!!! Get a designated driver or call a cab!
Want to embed this video on your own site, blog, or forum? Use this code or download the video: