The answer, tragically, is yes. NextWeb reports that a couple in Korea has been arrested for allowing their premature infant baby starve to death while they were busy nurturing their online child in the game Prius Online.
The couple reportedly fed their baby only once a day between 12-hour stretches of play-time with with their game. The autopsy report of their baby showed the death was a result of a long period of malnutrition. “The couple seemed to have lost their will to live a normal life, because they didn’t have jobs and gave birth to a premature baby,” said South Korean police officer Chung Jin-won. “They indulged themselves in the online game of raising a virtual character so as to escape from reality, which led to the death of their real baby.”
This goes to show how very real and horrific that gaming addiction can be. It may not always lead to such dire consequences, but it can. Is even that slight risk really worth it? If you know someone who may addicted to video games – either machine-based or online – I urge you to get help for them. I pray to never read another story such as this. Do you know the difference between addiction and obsession?
What other things have you come across in YOUR reading today? Hopefully, you’ve taken the time to see what the people right here in our community have been up to.
- Is the music album dead?
- The Big Bang Theory television show provides hours of excellent Geek humor.
- Good things really do come to those who wait… even bloggers!
- Verizon turns up the heat on its fiber optic network.
- Where DOES our hard-earned money go every time we pay for gasoline?
- Vitamin D can actually improve your mood during winter months!
- So… why do YOU blog?
- According to Steve Jobs, Adobe Flash is a huge resource hog!
- Can you install Windows from a USB stick?!
- Asus is bringing Auto-Core unlocking to everyone.
- Custom Windows 7 setups just became a whole lot easier.
- Security experts are getting serious about security.
- Have you read about the Opera bug?
- Is using the Internet a fundamental right? YOU decide.
- The lunacy in California continues. Now they’re selling state buildings!
- Cablevision and ABC – Naked greed at its most raw.
- Tour your favorite city with the click of a mouse.
Don’t forget to stop by our software download center to see what great new deals we’ve posted for you today!