http://live.pirillo.com/ – When Microsoft first announced their plans for Windows Vista, expert users were excited. Finally an operating system with a multitude of bells and whistles! Unfortunately, we’re still waiting to see this happen. While there are a few good add-ons, we’re still waiting for Microsoft to deliver the goods.
One of the add-ons available is called BitLocker. This handy little feature will encrypt your entire hard drive, making the entire system much more secure. Sadly, BitLocker is only available for Vista Ultimate and Enterprise editions.
BitLocker makes use of a hardware chip called a Trusted Platform Module or TPM. When you turn on the computer, BitLocker communicates with the TPM to make sure the Operating System hasn’t been tampered with. If everything is ok, BitLocker then sends a key to the software on your hard drive, allowing it to boot.
There are, of course, minimum system requirements needed in order to make use of BitLocker:
- Vista Ultimate or Enterprise
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM) microchip v1.2
- Trusted Computer Group (TCG)-compliant BIOS
- Two NTFS partitions – one for the system volume and one for the operating system volume
- System volume must be at least 1.5 GB and set as the active partition
Want to embed this video into your blog? Use this code: