The web has exploded today with coverage of the World Cup. Everywhere you turn, there are videos, discussions and photos being posted. The games are the top trend on Twitter and talk of them is rampant on Facebook. With so much buzz surrounding the World Cup, why are many coaches banning the use of social media amongst players?
Jolie O’Dell reports on Mashable that “players on the teams from Spain, Brazil, Mexico, Holland, Germany, Argentina and England are forbidden to use social services such as Twitter. One coach, Marcelo Bielsa of Chile, banned all social networking and even put a curfew on regular or non-social Internet use during the evening.” She is quick to point out that many NFL and NBA coaches impose the same types of restrictions on their players during games.
Do you feel this is fair? Should an athlete be allowed to send a tweet from their phone when they are not on the field? Why can’t they participate in the flurry of Internet messages surrounding what they are doing?
- WordPress subscribers aren’t happy about their offline time.
- Is app restriction a good thing?
- How do you feel we could simplify email?
- Is the super-secret addition to the Chrome operating system (Chromoting) real?
- Dreamcast games will be making their digital reappearance soon.
- How long could you live without your technology?
- Twitter and its performance problems continue.
- What are your thoughts on the HTC Evo?
- Do people still use Gateway machines these days?
- The Internet Merchant Service has issued an apology after our Lockergnome network broke the news of their billing errors.
- QT allows developers to code less.
- What is the best comedic movie you’ve ever watched?
- When in Rome, don’t roam!
- Should sex offenders be allowed to have “looking for love” profiles on social networks?
- Do you prefer iWork or Microsoft Office for your business needs?
- Can Kevin Costner really clean up oil spills using his ‘Centrifuge Technology’?
- The weekly Geek Funnies have begun!
- Do low-Carb diets really work?
- How do you raise the standards for system management?
- Researchers have found the world’s oldest leather shoe.
- What’s the worst customer service experience you’ve ever had?
- How do you repair a laptop?
Don’t forget to check out what’s new in our software center.