Everywhere you look today, the Internet is abuzz with news of the iPad. I’ve been attempting to do some work for hours now, yet I keep being interrupted by well-meaning people who all are demanding to know if I’m going to get one for myself or not. Yes – I am! Kat, however, is not. She adamantly states she doesn’t want one, and is tired of hearing about them already. I say she isn’t American, but that’s an argument for another day.
The funny thing is that several people in our chat room are “dying” to have an iPad for their very own. When someone asks them “Well, WHY do you want it so much?”, many of them don’t even have an answer to that. Another example… Kat’s sister told her earlier that she “has to have” an iPad. When Kat asked her why, the answer was a simple “it’s new, it’s hot and it looks great!”. Her sister didn’t even know what things are included (and what is NOT included) on the device. She just knew she “had” to have one.
This happens every time an anticipated device is released. Everyone has to have one. Remember the lines for the iPhone? What I don’t understand is why so many people claim to need a device, simply because it is new. Is it really that necessary to have what everyone else has? Doesn’t it matter whether or not a particular gadget will serve your needs properly? Have we truly lost sight of what is important when it comes to buying electronics and computer equipment?
What have you read today that is NOT related to the iPad? There have actually been a lot of things posted in our community, dealing with all sorts of subjects that aren’t even remotely related to Apple or their announcement. Hopefully you’ve taken the time to check some of it out!
- Fortron is bringing out a bronze-certified PSU lineup.
- Protect your computers from common websites and even more common threats.
- Are you interested in helping shape the future of Lockergnome?
- Facebook will be using McAfee to clean up their site.
- What are your thoughts on Google Wave?
- Has Apple lost over a million dollars to iPhone App pirates?
- Perhaps we should write more, and link less.
- Windows 7 was your idea, so what do you love about it?
- Are you going to be buying an iPad?
- Students now have their very own Ubuntu Linux distro!
- Mass Effect 2 has been released to Intergalactic acclaim!
- Just for fun: What are your favorite pizza toppings?
- Republicans are replying to comments about the State of the Union Address on Facebook!
- An ex-Air Force officer says the U.S. should be using Dirigibles.
Don’t forget to take time to browse through our software center to see what great new deals we have for you today!