If you are posting media that isn’t social, then you are completely un-cool. All media needs to be social! I’m happy to report that I’m going to be featured in the Seattle Social Media Profiles! Sadly, I didn’t get to wear a crown for the day or anything. They do, however, want me to answer a series of questions, so here goes!
- Name – Seriously? If they don’t know it, how did I get nominated for this gig? Ok, ok – I’m Chris Pirillo.
- Occupation or company – I don’t know what my occupation is, really. I’m a Geek, and work for myself. I’m lucky enough to have made a career out of a personality disorder.
- What is the best part of your job? – The commute time! I roll out of bed into this room, and I’m there, dude!
- When and how did you end up in Seattle? – I originally started out in Iowa. I ended up here because I wanted to be here. I love the weather here in the Northwest, and the outdoors (even though I’m the Great Indoorsman).
- How can people find you on the Web? – Google the word Chris. You’ll find me.
- What is it about social media that attracts you? – The babes! Dude – seriously – have you seen the social media babes? They’re very attractive, except for that one that we won’t talk about.
- How do you utilize social media? – I tickle it with my pinger! I use Ping.fm to sneeze out updates to sites such as Twitter, Facebook and more. I honestly feel that social media is using me, instead of the other way around. Maybe I’m just paranoid, but I feel like I’m being followed by thousands and thousands of people!
- What is the one thing that the mainstream population should know about social media? – They should know it’s happening, whether they’re using it themselves or not. People are talking about you (or your company) whether you know it or not.
- If people are following you on Twitter, what can they expect to read? – They can expect pithy quotes. Sometimes, I can be a little blue. I post links from people who post on Geeks and Lockergnome, or ones that others send to me that I like.
- How would you describe the social media scene in Seattle? – Sometimes it’s very stinky, and other times it’s beer-y. In any sense, it’s a hot scene. If there’s a social media event, there will be hundreds of people who show up!
- Do you remember your social media “WOW!” moment? What was it? – Uhm… I really don’t know. I don’t know if I’ve ever had a “WOW!” moment. It kind of just came upon me before I even really knew it, and I was off. I was doing social media before that even became a term!
- What is one piece of advice you give to new users of social media? – Be yourself, and understand that transparency applies to you. It’s important. Don’t ever think you’re the exception to that rule.
- Are you currently working on any projects that involve the use of social media? – Yes! I’m recording this as a video for YouTube right now!
- Are there any social media events or conferences in the future that you would like people to know about? – Well, at the time of this recording we were getting ready for Gnomedex! That’s my annual tech/social media conference. I definitely recommend it, of course.
- What are your hobbies? – I build LEGO sets!
- Favorite vacation spot and thing to do there? – My favorite vacation spot is Costco, actually. I love their hot dogs with a large drink. It’s only $1.50!
- Favorite restauraunt in Seattle? – Costco, of course! I love both the hot dogs and polish sausages.
- Favorite thing to do in Seattle in the summer? – Well if it’s meal-time, I like to just go to Costco!
- Favorite Quote? – I’d have to say the curly one!
- Guilty Pleasure? – On a rare occasion, I will go to Costco, get a hot dog, and add sauerkraut!
- Favorite actor/actress? – My favorite actor is Harrison Ford. I’ve modeled my entire career after him. I’ve been told I am the Harrison Ford of Geeks! I’ve worked very, very hard to attain that title.
- “I really like it when…” – Someone goes out and gets a Costco hot dog for me! That’s the best, because I don’t like to leave my home environment!
- “One day, I would love to…” – Finish this video! How long has it been already? Is anyone still reading/watching?
- “If I could meet anyone, alive or dead, it would be…” – Someone alive! I wouldn’t want to meet a dead person. Can you imagine the awkward conversation? It wouldn’t go anywhere!
- What would you like everyone to know about you? – What do you want to know about me? I’ll answer any question! I would like you all to know that I don’t take myself seriously, and that’s something I’ve been accused of on occasion. Does that make sense at all?
- Who would you like to see featured on Seattle Social Media Profiles, and why? – I really don’t know. I’d like to see the person who has not been featured yet… because in social media, everyone is important. Just because a person is only followed by 10 people, it doesn’t make them any less important than someone who is followed by thousands. I’d like to see the person you’d least likely expect to be featured be the next one featured!
If you made it this far into the video, good for you! You’re a Geek just like the rest of us.
Want to embed this video on your own site, blog, or forum? Use this code: