I’ve been across the pond exactly once in my life… to Germany. Next week, I’ll be heading to Paris, France for a conference. There are many places I have yet to visit over in that direction, but would very much like to. Portugal is one of those places on my “hope to see someday” list. It’s beautiful there, with much history everywhere you turn. Jorge Bravo lives in Porto, Portugal. He sent me the following list of places that you should definitely take the time to see should you ever find yourself visiting his homeland.
- Serralves Museum – This is a building that is as much a work of art as the collections it exhibits inside, surrounded by a magnificent park.
- Music House – An architectural masterwork by world-renowned architect Rem Koolhaas.
- CAIS DE GAIA Wine Cellars – The city’s fantastic skyline is showcased here. This is the birthplace of one of the world’s most popular wines.
- Igreja de São Francisco Church – Unquestionably one of Europe’s most extraordinarily lavish church interiors.
- Galeria Miguel Bombarda – Check out the art galleries down Rua Miguel Bombarda.
- Douro River – Take a cruise down the Douro River.
- Dom Louis Bridge – Before the Eiffel Tower, there was this ironwork showpiece.
- The Cathedral – This is the 12th century fortress-like cathedral where Prince Henry the Navigator was baptized.
- Clerigos Tower – This is a beautiful iconic landmark overlooking the city.
- Soares Dos Reis Museum – This is a notable national art museum named after one of Portugal’s top artists.
After taking a look at all of these places, I think Portugal has moved up higher on my list of “must see” places! What about you? Where do you live? What is cool, fun and educational in your area?