Recently, Mushir sent in his list of favorite foods from India. Instead of food, he’s passing on his top tips for people who are just beginning to learn how to use Photoshop.
- Check it out! When using Photoshop for the first time, see what everything does… from tools to little buttons. This will not only make you move around much faster in Photoshop, but it will also make you experiment a lot more.
- Always use layers! Layers are one of the most important things you have to remember to use when using Photoshop. It is very frustrating when you draw something really amazing on lets say a black background, but when you want to change the color of the background you notice the drawing and the background are on the same layer. So when you change the background color… the entire drawing gets screwed up. Remember also that using too many layers can get you confused.
- Name your layers. I know naming your layers can seem useless sometimes, but when working on a big project it is very helpful. Doing this helps you find a particular layer very fast.
- Use groups. Groups are little folders that you can put as many layers as you want into. Many people don’t even know that groups exist. This helps you organize your layers very easily. Remember to name your groups by the way!
- Learn the shortcuts. Learning shortcuts is the key to becoming a fast and an efficient Photoshop user. Of course, you will not be able to learn all the shortcuts right away. But after a while, try to remember the shortcuts for the tools you use the most.
- Filters. Filters are one of the greatest features in Photoshop. Try out the the filters and see what they do. Play with the settings. I like to use the sharpen filter a lot of the time. It gives my images a crisper look. But only use filters when you feel it is necessary.
- Experiment! Experimenting is something everyone should do. When starting with graphics… you might read tutorials, which is great! You really learn a lot from tutorials. But after awhile, try experimenting to find your own style. It always feels nice to see a new and refreshing style because some have been used so much already that even if they used to look good, they look awful now.
FirstRSS ERROR: "http://shop.tagjag.com/products/adobe" NOT FOUND!
Want to embed this video on your own site, blog, or forum? Use this code or download the video: