I admit it: I’ve been known to tell a blonde joke or two in my day. I’m fairly certain you’d be lying if you said you have never told a joke that bashed on someone’s hair color, religion or sexual preference. We all do it at times. However, as is being pointed out over on Lockergnome, those jokes can really hurt someone. What is funny to one person can be considered hate speech or cruelty to another. How do we know where to draw the line?
My assistant Kat will be the first person to say she can be a complete blonde at times. When she says that, she’s poking fun at her quirky side… the one that forgets little stuff, spaces out on what day it is and just generally loses herself for a moment. However, she is one hell of a smart woman at the same time. To her, a blonde joke isn’t something that bothers her. She could likely tell you the funniest ones you’ve ever heard.
To other blondes, having someone tell a blonde joke is tantamount to starting the next World War. They take serious offense to it and will show no mercy when telling you off about it. This is what I’m talking about… what is acceptable to one person may be offensive to the next. How do you know where and when to get your laugh on?
- Are we about to see the death of Blockbuster?
- Are you a Gimp expert?
- Are there any software titles out there to help reset and keep track of BIOS passwords?
- How did hackers knock YouTube off the air?
- How can you reuse sandwich wrap? Let me count the ways…
- Have you tried to create your own Steampunk gun?
- What is a good resource for finding reliable software tutorials?
- Netflix apologizes and offers a streaming-only plan to the U.S.
- When will the Microsoft-guided press lighten up?
- How do you plan to stay focused today?
- Is it better to air-cool or water-cool your computer?
- Thieves really ARE robbing homes based on Facebook statuses, tweets and location-based checkins.
- Having a desk that isn’t sturdy can lead to some very undesirable results… including an iMac that belches dust.
- Which Linux distro is best when building a home server?
- Is it possible to dry a piece of paper and have it be as good as new?
- Why are the Irish so different?!
- How do you disengage yourself from toxic relationships?
- What is a good barebones computer spec to look for?
- All Android-powered devices are NOT Droids.
- How do you update your Catalyst drivers?
- What are the operating system requirements for Internet Explorer 9?
- Could there be an HP Slate in the wild?
- Do you encode music with a high bitrate?
- When is Verizon’s 4G service coming to your city?
- What important lessons have you learned from others?
- Could we use Cloud-Seeding Engineering to solve Global Warming?
- Do cheesy commercials annoy you and keep you from buying a product?
- Which television season premieres are you most looking forward to?
There’s no joking when it comes to finding the software and apps you need to make your life easier.