Tag Archives: comments

Should We Use YouTube Moderation?

Add to iTunes | Add to YouTube | Add to Google | RSS Feed

Have you tried YouTube’s Moderation feature yet? If not, why not? If so, will it be worth keeping around for us to use? To me, it seems interesting – but relatively stunted if we can’t get a lion’s share of people to use it to generate good ideas. I’m not going to answer the same questions over and over again.

YouTube moderation in our channel will allow you pose a question or even offer up a topic for a future recording. The community can vote on whether your idea is good or not. Head over to the profile page, scroll down past the favorites to the moderator session. It’s already live on the page – at least for now. We’ll see how things go before I decide if we keep it active permanently or not.

You’ll need to sign in with a Google account, such as from Gmail or Google Docs. If we have a lot of fruitful topics and possibilities arise from your crowd-sourcing ideas, we’ll keep the moderation turned on. Answer the question of what video I should do next. Once you’ve submitted your answer, people can vote it up or down.

We can also turn these questions back to the community. If I don’t have the time to do something specific (such as build a computer), there’s always a chance that we could upload a video submitted by one of you showing off your building skills.

Keep your questions fresh and interesting. Make sure it’s something I haven’t already answered a hundred times, and that it’s something others will want to know. This is your chance to help define the YouTube channel.

Want to embed this video on your own site, blog, or forum? Use this code or download the video:

How to Deal With YouTube Haters

Jon has some excellent advice for those of you just getting started on YouTube. Too often, people give up before they even really get started producing content due to the haters and idiots you’ll find running amok in the comment threads. You have to remember that no matter what you do or how good you are, there are going to be negative – and even hurtful – comments. The complete anonymity that YouTube commenters have leads itself to them posting things they would likely never say to someone’s face.

You’ll get rude comments, racial slurs, and sometimes even threats to your safety and well-being. You have to develop a thick skin if you’re going to read your comments, and realize that they mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. Negative feedback on YouTube videos has nothing to do with who you are as a person and what you’re doing with your life. Don’t let them wear you down.

There are several tools at your disposal. You can delete comments you find offensive or undesirable. You can vote them down so that they eventually disappear on their own. You can even block the worst offenders completely, disallowing any future comments from them. You’ll find that as you start blocking these people that the overall comments in your future videos will start to improve.

You will also get some positive stuff, of course, and even serious feedback. You’ll want to take the constructive criticism and ask yourself how you can use it to make what you’re trying to do even better. Don’t expect everything to be positive and that everyone will love you. It’s never going to happen.

Take in what people say, discard that which does not help you, and learn from the rest. You can also check out my Top YouTube Tips eBook for more information to help you be successful on the popular video site.

How To Cope With Rude People

If you have dared to think that I’ve been rude to people in any capacity, might I give you a glimpse into the average minute of my average day? Yeah, how long could YOU cope with this before snapping? It’s not that I intend to be rude… it’s that I am tired of having to tolerate others who are acting rude.

When people call in, they tend to ask me the same things over and over. If you want to know something about me, why not check out the blog post created to help answer most of the things asked too often?

If you want to email or call to complain about the chat room, you might want to read through the rules. They are very basic, and ensure that our community runs as smoothly as possible. You may not agree with the rules, and that’s okay. Create your own channel and set up your own style of moderation. You have to remember that we have people of all ages in that channel, and we have sponsors who don’t like to see talk of illegal or disgusting things. I still haven’t figured out what the fascination is with talking about hacks and cracks, anyway.

I love what I do on a daily basis. I’m still passionate about technology and communities. However, I fully admit that there are days it’s difficult to keep cope when it seems as though no one wants to act with maturity and class. If you have a tech question, try to find the answer via a simple Google or Bing search. If the answer is too difficult to understand (or impossible to find), change up your search terms. If you still cannot figure it out, ask someone (like our community or myself).

For the love of god, don’t ask the same simple question that has been done to death and then get mad if I end up sounding rude when I answer you.

YouTube Layout Changes – Good or Bad?

Add to iTunes | Add to YouTube | Add to Google | RSS Feed

Like any other website, YouTube is in a state of constant evolution. Like it or not, the site rolled out several new changes to their layout yesterday. I have to give those changes a thumbs up – and a thumbs down.

If you’ve visited a YouTube video page in the past few days, you’ve seen what they’ve done. I appreciate that I have more options (which are easier to access) in handling the videos that I have recorded. I feel it’s easier for me to navigate my way around, finding content from others as well. The “subscribe” button is much more prominent now, which I also appreciate.

I like the fact that the username, date, description and links are now underneath the video. When they were in a sidebar, it seemed as though no one ever thought to look for more information, and would often miss important details.

This type of information is important. I don’t think it’s a great idea that people can only see whether others like (or dislike) a video until they’ve watched it themselves, but we’ll see how that plays out.

What they did with the comments is interesting, to say the least. It’s not a good change, in my humble opinion. It looks like a jumbled mess now. If you hover over a comment, it is highlighted. However, to scroll through them is just a pain. There are bugs at times when trying to block a user. Half the time it will work, and half the time it won’t. You can’t even tell how many comments a particular video has now. That’s a statistic I would appreciate having, but I can manage without it.

According to the research that YouTube has done, the changes make sense from a usability standpoint. I’ve seen a lot of negative commentary floating around though, so I’m not entirely convinced that YouTube has gotten it “right” just yet.

What are your thoughts? What do you enjoy about the new layout, and what do you wish you could change again?

MyBlogLog to Close Down in January

MyBlogLog is an interesting – and very popular – service, which boomed across the Internet a couple of years ago. Yahoo! bought it back in 2007 for a whopping ten million dollars. MyBlogLog is a service that shows blog writers and readers the faces and profile information of other MyBlogLog users that visit their sites. It grew like crazy after the acquisition by the Yahoo! team, and then… well… it fizzled flat.

In a move that isn’t really surprising anyone, Yahoo! is reportedly shutting the service down in just a few weeks. Yahoo! is not confirming this, stating that they are “looking at options” for MyBlogLog, and that “closing it down is only one option”.

Bloggers are going to be ticked. The general consensus seems to be that Yahoo! let this potentially powerful service languish, and is wasting what could have been an amazing tool for us all. The data amassed from this piece of Heaven could have proven very valuable to people like you and me – had Yahoo! chosen to develop and cultivate it at all.

MyBlogLog doesn’t just show you who visited you. It also offers access to activity streams from social networks that users had associated with their MyBlogLog accounts. For example, there was a bookmarklet built that would show the recent bookmarks on Delicious, pictures from Flickr, and items posted to LinkedIn accounts of your latest blog visitors. How insanely useful could that have been?!

It’s possible MyBlogLog may have been ahead of its time. Services like Twitter and Facebook are just now becoming a major source for connectivity and sharing. So, why is it that Yahoo! isn’t starting to work on further developing and promoting this service… instead of just closing the doors? It makes no sense to me at all.

YouTube Comments are Worthless

Seriously. Why do I even bother accepting (or reading) comments on YouTube? The other day, someone accused me of doing nothing but advertising for other companies – but they asserted this accusation for the video in which I was doing nothing but throwing a snowball into the camera’s lens. WTF?! Today, this happened:

chrispirillo: Someone just called me a Dutchbag on YouTube. Should I be offended? Is this a bad thing? Better than Italianbag, Frenchbag?

about 56 minutes ago

ammunix: rofl

about 55 minutes ago

MarjyMeechan: What&#39s going on over at Youtube? Somebody else told me they were blocking people. Is it getting rowdy over there?

about 55 minutes ago

gourmeted: Hahaha.

about 55 minutes ago

andycaster: well..they say if you aren&#39t dutch, you aren&#39t much! must be a compliment!

about 54 minutes ago

mxgirl22: lol dutchbag. People on You Tube are so smart haha

about 54 minutes ago

JLHughes: That&#39s better than a bag of Dutch…I think.

about 54 minutes ago

dbhaffey: they were probably half in the bag?

about 54 minutes ago

craigsutton: I think it just means you dont like tipping at the grocery store

about 54 minutes ago

techlover: You know what they meant…

about 54 minutes ago

charliejennings: chris, you are a douche bag. But not as much of a douch bag as the douche bag that mis-spelt the word douche bag.

about 53 minutes ago

Nathan_halo9: No need to worry,just ell them to spell it right next time.PS I didn&#39t know that a English major can say “Aint” on youtube!

about 53 minutes ago

KevinLittleton: I&#39m Dutch and I think “dutchbag” is hilarious! Don&#39t be offended, say thank you!

about 53 minutes ago

dmerwrock: bag of Dutch. iunno… that&#39s a tough call. I&#39d sleep on it. xD

about 53 minutes ago

iUberGeek: Egregious spelling errors render insults comically invalid :).

about 53 minutes ago

sophiaperennis: Being a Dutchbag is a privilege if ya ask me. 😀

about 53 minutes ago

Schmal: lol, kinda like: your fucking stupid

about 53 minutes ago

awesomenossum: Yeah, that&#39s usually not a good thing. I&#39d be a little offended.

about 53 minutes ago

ericpratum: Hmm… I&#39d say it&#39s better than Spanishbag, but not as good as Germanbag… unless you wanna get technical…

about 53 minutes ago

dkmeister: who what it? sxephil? If its him feel honored you will get lot of &#39fame&#39

about 52 minutes ago

joshua_w: What about Canadianbag? That&#39s the WORST! 😛

about 52 minutes ago

Chris_Jenkins: RE:Dutchbag I think it&#39s a compliment, the dutch have very nice bags. Be happy and thank them. 🙂

about 52 minutes ago

orcaman42: I&#39d publicly ask him to use a dicktionary

about 52 minutes ago

musicloverchick: Heehee, that is really hilarious….I&#39m going to laugh like an idiot cause it&#39ll be stuck in my head now, Dutchbag…haha

about 52 minutes ago

Xentagz: dutchbag = good:-)

about 50 minutes ago

sciamachy: Well, I was always taught the French & Italians made great bags

about 50 minutes ago

mixman55: yo bro u should report them now

about 49 minutes ago

ponet: Or “half of this, half of that bag!”

about 49 minutes ago

idumych: that&#39s kind of a douchey reaction >_>

about 49 minutes ago

compuhelp101: lol its pronounced “doosh-bag”, well not really, they are just jealous of you

about 49 minutes ago

mellibel: you should send them a thank you gift, and make it a dictionary with a spell checker

about 49 minutes ago

Dortz: nah. Dutchbag is so much better. Nobody hates the Dutch.

about 49 minutes ago

Nkosi868: I envy the scholars on YouTube…..

about 49 minutes ago

triFeral: Are you even dutch?

about 48 minutes ago

secretgiftgirl: Sounds like a complement to me 😉 http://bit.ly/2iGYB9 Bosboom makes very nice “dutchbags.”

about 48 minutes ago

ScottEO: beats being ignored 😉

about 48 minutes ago

dette4556: Hahahaha I am not sure if you should be offended with that or not

about 47 minutes ago

tylergillies: at least they didn&#39t call you a dirty Seattle hippy

about 46 minutes ago

akirareiko: hilarious!

about 46 minutes ago

brennanmuir: i wouldnt

about 44 minutes ago

emilyrlerner: I&#39m pretty sure Frenchbag is the worst of the worst, followed by Dutchbag, then Italianbag.

about 43 minutes ago

DacoTaco: dutchbag? how is that even an english word? o_O; if it is..i guess thats good cause of the weed in holland o.o

about 43 minutes ago

andrew42092: Just Ignore it. Not Worth being offended over. Trust me 🙂

about 41 minutes ago

mtpflyers: dutchbag? WTF? I wonder if this 12 year old thought he was typing douchbag but failed? Kids can&#39t live without spell check..

about 39 minutes ago

atulkarmarkar: perhaps they meant “douchebag” ? 🙂

about 38 minutes ago

odaynasser: hahhahhah

about 38 minutes ago

EricJacksch: LOL Sounds like you were insulted by the illiterate squad.

about 38 minutes ago

WrathOskvro: Sheesh Chris, you&#39re such a dutchbag. 😛

about 37 minutes ago

sketchee: Was this someone you know or just the usual internet background noise?

about 36 minutes ago

Aswell: or canadabag…

about 33 minutes ago

j_holtslander: A Dutchbag? You sure it wasn&#39t Douchebag? Not saying you are, just never heard of Dutchbag before.

about 33 minutes ago

LivingRichLee: Does that mean he shares your baggage with you? Perhaps a new form of empathy. Definately a compliment. 😀

about 32 minutes ago

grantbourque: you should be glad that you got name called by a complete loser

about 32 minutes ago

bls4design08: That&#39s hilarious! Your a real wallet I guess! http://tinyurl.com/dh8jh8

about 31 minutes ago

IanMcNaughton: haha, think the spelling is messed Dutchbag- Douchbag! and ya, Chris, it&#39s not flattering and I am sure not accurate! :o)

about 30 minutes ago

bls4design08: That would make for a great list! The top 10 insult misfires.

about 27 minutes ago

bcarcio: send the link, Dutch Boy

about 25 minutes ago

straightahead: what sort of axent did the person have? lol

about 19 minutes ago

edgewoodblake83: Jack from Jack in the Box is back dude.

about 8 minutes ago

Who Owns your Comments?

Add to iTunes | Add to YouTube | Add to Google | RSS Feed

People who comment on a video with only “FIRST!” are nothing more than a pancake. They don’t care about the comment, they only care to make comments before anyone else does. I love getting comments, really I do. I bring this up to ask you this… who owns your comments?

Does YouTube own them, or is that just the place where you put your thoughts? Do I own your comments when you leave them on my blog? No way, I’ve never believed that. If you leave a comment, you own it. That’s the way I feel. There are services out there, such as Disqus and Intense Debate that allow you to make a comment somewhere (if one of these services is installed) and have it tied back to your online identity. They federate commentary. This way, you aren’t just some random commenter. But who owns those comments? Do the services own them? Do the services you post them through own them? Or do you, the writer, own them?

This has been a debate for quite awhile now. Your comment is original information that is being shared. It’s an interesting debate, because it is so easy to leave comments, and contribute to discussions anymore. When you’re in an environment that exceeds in highlighting these social points, you can extend beyond your own reach. For years, the only way you could get comments is by having your own website, and hope someone would stop to post in your guest book. Now, you can have a profile on a social network, a blog anywhere on the Web, or your own website. Everything is melding together, to make up your online identity. These different services allow you to take your social identity and bring it full circle, back to your own personal space.

The easiest way to centralize this comment ecosystem is to bring it back in to wherever it was produced. In my case, that would be here in my blog. Why not leave a comment here, and let me know your thoughts on this.

[rsslist:http://shop.tagjag.com/products/blog]

Want to embed this video on your own site, blog, or forum? Use this code:

Study Shows 99.9% of Internet Commentary is Insipid

Irony

You may need to click the image to see the larger version of it. Really makes you stop and think, eh? Well, at least some of us need to stop and think – and some of us just need to stop. I could respond one of several ways:

1. "What about my fucking stupid?"
  2. "I think you meant to say "you’re," but that would also imply that you’re nullifying your original assertion – if, indeed, you were claiming that I was the one with the mental deficiency?"
  3. "Well, at least you spelled it correctly."
  4. "I completely agree."
  5. "English called. She wants her dignity back."
  6. "Let me guess: you believe in ‘Intelligent Design?’"
  7. "No, your fucking stupid!"
  8. "You used a period at the end of this comment, but forgot to capitalize the first word in it. Fail."
  9. "Say, you wouldn’t happen to be the same Pvt. Santiago to whom I gave a Code Red on Guantanimo Bay back in 1992?"
  10. "YouTube says there changing they’re policies for posting comments their soon."
  11. "No comment."

This wasn’t a study, per se – but I do wish that some of the world’s population would “study” a bit more. What’s most concerning about comments like these is that I can’t tell if they were posted by a child or an adult. An honest grammar or spelling slip-up amidst a series of paragraphs is completely understandable, but when you’re a repeat offender… do the world (and your family, career) a favor and STFU.

We don’t need another spelling or grammar checker – we need a “stupid checker.”

What does it Take to Drive Traffic to your Videos?

Add to iTunes | Add to YouTube | Add to Google | RSS Feed

I recently uploaded a one-minute video of my laughing hysterically. In three days’ time, that video has had over 10,000 views on YouTube, and received more than 300 comments. What does it take to generate this kind of traffic? Jeff sent me an email recently, asking me what tips and tricks there are to get content to the top of search engines?

There is no one silver bullet, there are many things you can do. Not all of them will necessarily lead you down the path to success… in terms of views, attention and meeting your goals. I’ve written down three points to answer this. These are things I believe are applicable to everyone who is producing content online. Make sure you just be yourself, that is the most important.

• Survey the landscape.
  • Use the resources at your disposal.
  • Embrace, empower and extend the community.

For years, you had to rely on your own devices to create content and find a place for that content to exist. These days, with the advent of sites like YouTube, it’s much simpler. I produce a Podcast that can be downloaded onto an MP3 player. I know that the greater impact would be experience on YouTube, more than anywhere on the Internet. In surveying the landscape a few years ago, I realized I needed to start driving my content to YouTube. I didn’t quit my blog … I simply learned to drive traffic to the video site, to learn more about me and what I do. I knew I would get a greater amount of return with video than with written word.

The most important thing is to embrace, empower and extend the community. One of the reasons it is crucial for me to have chat inside the videos that I do is my chat room is the closest thing I have to a live studio audience. The interaction and personal exchange between the chat members adds so much to what I do. It’s all about the community. It’s a connection, whether informative or fun. By connecting with others on many different levels, you will be able to reach out wider and further, driving more traffic to yourself. Don’t treat people like they are some remote foreign object. Treat them as though they are a very important part of your life. Let’s face it… if you’re trying to gain a following, they ARE important to you.

[rsslist:http://shop.tagjag.com/products/community]

How do you Keep up with all Your Comments?

Add to iTunes | Add to YouTube | Add to Google | RSS Feed

An old friend from Iowa recently emailed to ask me how I manage to keep up with all the comments I receive on a daily basis. I have comments on my blog, YouTube, MySpace, Twitter, Facebook, and so on. He wondered if I have advice for all of you to help manage your comments.

My biggest piece of advice is to limit the number of Social Networking sites that you belong to and participate in. If you have accounts everywhere… you’ll never keep up. I check my MySpace comments maybe once a week. I don’t receive many comments on Facebook, so it’s easy to keep up with them. I honestly don’t read every comment I receive on every network… that would be impossible. I do read everything on Twitter, and everything on YouTube. I receive a mass amount of blog comments, which Kat thankfully helps me to go through and moderate daily.

On Twitter, I plan to start featuring a follower of the day. I love Twitter, because I get to meet people from backgrounds that are much different from mine. When those people comment to me on Twitter, I get to see what I’m doing from a different perspective. Most commentary on Twitter is of high value, and genuine in nature. Ultimately, it’s not about where someone comments. It’s that they are commenting. You get to know each person for who they are.

[rsslist:http://shop.tagjag.com/products/vacation]

Want to embed this video on your own site, blog, or forum? Copy the code below, ordownload the video: