When was the last time you backed up your computer? If the answer is “never” or “I don’t know what to use,” then you might try either Backblaze or SpiderOak. Online backup services trump traditional backup methods – so long as you have a broadband connection.
10 Reasons to Use Online Backup Services
- You know you can access your data from anywhere, at any time.
- Once you start using the service, it just runs in the background (virtually silent).
- No need to buy any additional hardware.
- With my links, you can save 10% off either service: Backblaze or SpiderOak.
- All data storage is off-site.
- The software is tied into the service directly (versus getting it as a “bonus” package).
- These particular solutions are cross-platform – which may not be important to you now, but think about what might happen a few years from now if you decide to get a new operating system.
- Redundancy! You don’t want to have a single point of failure.
- These are service companies, not hard drive companies – and when you need help, you know you’re going to get it (and if you’re not being helped by Backblaze or SpiderOak, let me know immediately and I’ll kindly thump a few skulls for you).
- Software updates come to you on a regular basis – that’s a very GOOD thing.
Why I like SpiderOak:
- It’s easy to share your files with friends (with RSS, too).
- You can backup multiple computers through one account.
- File duplication checks to ensure you’re not wasting space.
Why I like Backblaze:
- Request a USB stick or DVD of your data at any time.
- You have the option to add your own encryption key.
- It gives you a “changelog” to review (at the folder level).
I’ve negotiated an exclusive 10% off either one of these online backup services – Backblaze and SpiderOak. They’re now both Mac and Windows compatible! You can download and try each one of them for yourself (and PLEASE let me know which one you like more). If you don’t start backing up online, you’ll regret it.
And don’t buy ANYTHING without first asking me if I can save you money – because I bet I can.