A reader recently asked me when the “right” time is to begin using sites such as Twitter. This is a youngster who feels he may not have many followers for quite a while, and wonders what the point would be in taking the time to produce content. The answer is a simple one: there is no “right” – or wrong – time to begin your social media journey. If you have something worth saying that you want to share with others, then stop waiting for some magical point in time. Jump in there and spread your message.
Of course you aren’t going to somehow magically have a bajillion followers. It takes time to build up a decent-sized following – for most of us mere mortals, anyway. By opening yourself up and sharing things you feel are important, you will begin to see your number of friends and fans grow. Don’t stress yourself out thinking that you have to be funny, original and insightful with every 140 character message you send. Be yourself. You can bring a bit of your true personality into your business side, mixing the two into something uniquely you.
The worst thing you can do when it comes to jumping into that puddle is to wait. Get out there and create that profile. Close your eyes, hold your breath and type!
- You need to be careful with the passwords you’re using on mobile apps.
- Is there ever a “right” time to jump into the social media fray?
- What is your opinion of Google’s new management direction?
- Where’s our thanks for Google and Apple’s record-breaking profit quarters?
- Are you excited about the coming Nintendo?
- How do you turn your ideas into career opportunities?
- Using VoIP clients on Linux isn’t the nightmare you may think.
- Could there be anything radical in store with the new iPad when it hits?
- Do you prefer any musical instruments over others?
- Have you made your workout social yet?
- How many of your favorite stores may be closing their doors this year?
- Were any products unveiled at CES that made you drool and grab your credit card?
- T-Mobile is offering up a new data plan. Will that be enough to grab some of the Verizon customers?
- Can a police officer go too far?
- Why is that beeping coming from my CPU!!?? Make it stop!
- Page ousts Schmidt as Mayor of Google on Foursquare and assumes the role of CEO.
- Where do programmers get their ideas from?
- Has Angry Birds gone too far?
- Can Nuclear Science beat cancer?
- How can you save seeds from your garden?
- How easy is it for people to scam others with their resume?
- What are the potential risks and consequences of video game addiction?
Don’t forget to stop by our software center to see what’s new today.