In the fierce competition for good programmers and employees, large companies are beginning to realize they need to offer more than just a cushy salary and stock option package. It’s not unheard of for Facebook to offer a half-million-dollar bonus to an employee who signs on that almighty bottom line. With carrots like that dangled in someone’s face, how can other companies compete? If you’re Google, then you’re likely going to offer to pay for the mundane tasks that your employees don’t want to do themselves.
Google is offering the services of TaskRabbit to employees who live in one of the five cities the company covers – including the Valley. If a developer doesn’t want to do his laundry or walk his dog, he can turn to TaskRabbit runners to do those things for him. TaskRabbit founder Leah Busque explains: “The perks are obvious – employees get the extra help they need and some work life balance, while companies get happy and loyal employees that are more focused on their work (without the stresses of the “little” stuff).”
Do you agree with companies using perks such as this to hire and retain top talent?
- Is it ethical for Mozilla to block the FireSheep add-in?
- It feels good to be home again.
- Would you like to live your life inside of a video game?
- Is Apple beating Microsoft?
- Do you have trouble swallowing pills?
- What sneaky credit card scams do you need to watch out for?
- Do you put stickers on your devices and computers?
- A new trojan horse written for Mac OS X is being spread via social media.
- Do we need to protect ourselves against Firesheep?
- Have you ever seen the stuff that makes up just one day of “news?”
- Do you think our pets should have their own online presence?
- Does Firesheep really work? Unfortunately, the answer is yes.
- Facebook brought an Army famimly back together.
- How real are you?
- Do you think we’re ever going to see a white iPhone?
- Could a robot run on coffee?
- There’s finally a Yahoo! mail update… but is it enough?
- Do you enjoy collaboration?
- Do you feel all file-sharing services should be shut down?
- An Apple online store has finally opened in China.
- Would you miss Windows 7 if you moved to Mac or Linux?
- Where does a geek turn for help?
- Are you a Wikipedia fan?
- What do flight attendants hate about passengers?
- Solar-charge your lighter!
- What type of media player do you prefer?
- Does the music you listen to reflect your current mood?
- Are you looking for cool animated wallpapers?
- How can technology be used to increase your personal development?
Don’t forget to stop by our software center to see what’s new today.