One of the most popular questions on Lockergnome asks members what they use for a home page. This thread has been active for a few months now. That itself is impressive: most questions die out after only a few hours. The overwhelming consensus is that people are using Google for their home page. This actually shocked me a bit. Sure, Google is becoming a verb instead of a website. It’s all-powerful in the minds of some people. But is this really what you need to see every single time you fire up a browser page?
I have nothing against the popular search engine. I happen to use it myself! However, I can think of many other sites which should hold that golden place of honor on my desktop. You may argue that you can find everything in an instant with Google. Yup, that’s true! You can click inside the handy little search box most browsers provide to do that search, though. Why would you need it as your home page?
What is the first thing you see when you fire up your browser du jour? What made you choose that particular site?
- What has your Android experience been like?
- You are NOT your technology.
- Has Apple made a huge mistake?
- Can you make your own cleaner for granite counter tops?
- If you read it on the Internet then it must be true – right?
- Do you feel Apple should change the name of the iTunes application?
- Is Amazon trying to beat out Apple with their dollar rentals?
- Where do you want to go?
- Only a true geek would use his vacation time to visit Microsoft headquarters.
- What are the best methods of storing data?
- China’s monopoly on 17 key elements sets the stage for a supply crisis.
- Is Netflix like The Little Engine That Could?
- Does knowledge of a new fact change the knowledge of something you knew already?
- How does the human body get rid of things it no longer needs?
- Text messages reveal the emotional timeline of September 11.
- IBM is taking the top spot – again.
- Are there any affordable web hosts out there who offer decent services and uptime?
- Is there much of a difference between distilled water and spring water?
- A person’s capacity for exercise can be inherited.
- What type of device do you use to stream video?
- What does Apple have against touch screens?
- Does Apple purposely slow down programs they create for Windows?
- Snoop Dogg is shilling for Symantec? What is the world coming to?
- Home audio sales are on the rise.
- What elements make for the perfect tweetup?
- What conferences have you attended… and which would you pay to go to again?
- The pace at which Google is releasing major revision numbers of its browser is staggering.
If I had my way, all of you would set our software site as your home page. You can find all of the apps and software you need there – at the best of prices. Why would you need anything else?