Geeks are everywhere. We tend to hold some of the coolest jobs on the planet. Our group has some of the most amazing (and personable!) people as core members. The gang is widely accepted socially these days – right? Sadly, this isn’t always the case. Why is it that even in the days of phenomenal technological advances we still sometimes have to hide who we are? Why are geeks ostracized in any capacity?
One teen on Lockergnome reports that his mom told him to not tell people he is a geek. Say what?! He explains further by saying: “When I call myself a geek in front of people, they don’t seem to understand what I mean. Some people misinterpret it for being the Hollywood stereotyped ‘I love school, reading books, doing homework and physically weak nerd.'”
I cannot believe that people feel as though being a geek is a bad thing. Hell, a geek isn’t necessarily even someone who is a computer lover. A geek is anyone who is passionate about something, whether that be technology, water polo or art class.
What are your thoughts? Do you feel there are still negative connotations in conjunction with the word geek?
- Should Sony have won their jailbreaking case?
- People are more important than gadgets.
- Organized web monsters are finding jobs quite easily these days.
- Is it possible to add a WiFi adapter to a D-Link router?
- How do you handle it when your own parents tell you not to call yourself a geek?
- Save yourself a wad of dough by planting your seeds for next year in a toilet paper roll.
- Have you ever done an acid3 test?
- Have you ever ghosted a portable drive to install on a fresh machine?
- What is the best gadget you have ever used?
- Some people will be spending their long weekend testing software.
- Who do you think is the most “important” person in computer history?
- What types of problems would cause a newer computer to shut itself off at random times?
- I don’t know why everybody’s getting upset at @KevinRose over Digg changes. He’s AWESOME – always has been, always will be.
- Do you have an addiction to a specific type of food?
- Wake up and fix your support, Microsoft!
- Toshiba is recalling overheating laptop machines, saying that the AC adapter could melt.
- What would cause a scanner to refuse to install?
- What has been your favorite operating system of all time?
- How do you evaluate social media helpers?
- What is the one piece of software you recommend to others most often?
- I refer to annoying people who check in EVERYWHERE as “Foursquare Badgers.”
- How much space do you REALLY need on that portable device?
- Do you need a beginner’s guide to wireless network administration?
- Which project management tools can you not live without?
- When I almost walk into someone while I’m staring at my device’s screen, I quickly have to do the “iPad Shuffle.”
- How can you easily and quickly remove double entries in iTunes?
- IKEA is working to build an (almost) completely Green store.
- Fat cells are not just dormant storage facilities for calories.
- StreamArmor is a free tool for discovering hidden alternate data streams (ADS) as well as cleaning them completely from the system.
- Which mobile media strategies actually work?
- Can all camcorders be used as webcams?
- What types of things do you collect?
Our software center always has the hottest apps and software at the best prices you can find.