Likely the most hilarious story I’ve come across lately is the cease and desist letter received by ThinkGeek yesterday. The letter was sent by the National Pork Association and backed by several notable legal minds. The twelve-page document claims that ThinkGeek has been infringing on the NPAs phrase “The Other White Meat” in their advertising. What makes this so funny is that the product being referred to was an April Fool’s Day joke where our favorite monkeys decided to advertise Unicorn Meat.
There have been a lot of bloggers today screaming about how “dumb” the brass at the NPA must be to believe that this was a real product. I don’t think they believed it was real at all. I think they knew exactly what they were doing. Look at how much attention they garnered today. The C&D states right in black-and-white that they are planning to phase out the use of that phrase. So what, then, is their beef?
Thankfully, ThinkGeeks’ use of the phrase in their advertising is protected as a parody. They don’t have to cease or desist anything at all.
- Facebook has served billions, but how?
- Can you make a case for Android?
- Should companies perform more stress testing on their devices prior to launch?
- Will you be purchasing the next Motorola Droid?
- Is anyone feeling bad about rushing out to get an iPad?
- How do you fix the zoom button in Mac OS X?
- Are advertisements on license plates a good thing?
- How do you watch live television on the iPhone and iPad?
- Verizon will offer FiOS without a contract or termination fees.
- If you were in charge for one day, what would you change about Apple?
- What is the one thing that you would refuse to ever do?
- What gripes do you have about iOS 4?
- A Mozilla intern is tackling browser startup speed issues.
- Microsoft has extended the availability of Windows 7 Enterprise.
- Can kids really execute mathematical problems in their head without aid of paper, pen or calculator?
- Do you remember The Final Countdown?
- Flock has broken up with Firefox and is now going Google.
- Can you successfully describe your friends or loved ones in exactly three words?
- Where does one find the ‘right’ VC to pitch an idea to?
- Ahhh… the phone wars continue!
- What’s the first thing you do when you have to reinstall Windows?
- Which is the best virtual machine software for hardware acceleration?
- What are your thoughts on the newest Samsung phone?
- Devuvuzela is an app to filter out World Cup Vuvuzelas.
- Do you have a child who is a voracious reader?
There will be no C&D involved when you grab the latest software and apps from our download center.