I think I am in the wrong line of business. I knew already that Facebook’s Farmville was a huge hit. Every time I log into the site, I see people harvesting their crops and begging me to fertilize them. I’ve also seen people cooking up delicious things in their restaurants on Cafe World. I’ve heard (and read) that you can use real money to advance yourself in these games. I had no idea, though, just how huge of a market this is until now.
The people behind World of Warcraft, Blizzard Entertainment, struck gold this week – literally. In the past, they have occasionally offered limited-edition virtual pets for sale in their online store. Pay Blizz some real money, and you can have yourself a seriously cool pet on the toon of your choosing. This week, the geniuses introduced a new Celestial Steed, which allows you to “travel in style astride wings of pure elemental stardust.” I’ll admit that the steed is pretty cool looking. But I can’t see paying twenty-five real dollars for it if I was already paying fifteen every month just for the privilege of playing the game.
Apparently, one heck of a lot of people disagree with me, though. Blizz is reporting that in the first four hours that the mount was available they made an astonishing two MILLION dollars just off of that pet alone. That is over eight-thousand smackers per minute.
The mount doesn’t give a player any advantages in the game over other subscribers. It simply looks cool. Who knew that you could make a fortune in moments through a virtual game? I need to put my brain to work to come up with one of my own.
Photo courtesy of MMO Champion and Blizzard Entertainment.
- Have you thought about living your life with LeapFish?
- Is the General Electric CEO a traitor?
- Zeus is more powerful than ever.
- Will the new HP Slate rival the iPad?
- Can you even pronounce the name of the volcano that erupted in Iceland?
- Today’s disastrous McAfee update has left some XP users fuming.
- Scammers have baited more than 40,000 Facebook users by tempting them with an IKEA gift card.
- What did you do to celebrate Earth Day?
- Have you been having a positive Windows 7 experience?
- We have not forgotten Windows 7 users!
- Mozilla is showing off their upcoming themes. Sadly, they all look familiar.
- Are you in need of a Windows 7 guide full of tips and tweaks?
- What ad-blocking software do you use for Safari?
- What is the next threat to national security?
- Have you ever been a part of a “fanboy” discussion gone wrong?
- Is our money getting a makeover?
You don’t have to play WoW or even join Facebook in order to see what’s new in our software center.