The 2010 Winter Olympics is now officially off and running, albeit under a cloud of sadness. While the opening ceremony was indeed a spectacular event, it was also touching to see the support for fallen Georgian athlete, luger Nodar Kumaritashvili. The remaining members of the Georgia delegation waved a flag with a black ribbon attached to the top, as well as wearing black armbands. Athletes from other countries were seen with the armbands in a show of fellowship and support, as well.
Kumaritashvili was killed during a practice run earlier today when he flew off the luge sled and out of the track into a steel beam. At one point during the day, Georgian officials were pondering pulling the remaining team members out of the Olympics. However, they have thankfully decided (as of now) to compete. These people have trained for years, some their entire lives, for this moment. While their hearts are heavy, it would be a shame for them to not have the opportunity to reach their ultimate goal.
Despite the pall cast over the night, the festivities were beautiful, and the crowd of thousands roared their approval throughout the event. Whether or not you’re a sports fan, the Olympics hold special appeal for many. I certainly hope you’ll be watching, and cheering on your home teams!
- Google doesn’t want bad buzz. They are working on fixing the privacy issues.
- What do you find to rant about at three in the morning?
- Can a BlackBerry stop a bullet in its tracks?
- Microsoft is offering some truths for Valentine’s Day.
- Why do women prefer pink – even when it comes to their laptops?
- Should the term Global Warming be changed to Global Snow Falling Where It’s Not Supposed To?
- What is the “perfect” wedding proposal?
- Will we see an ARM version of Windows?
- Can a Mac DO that?
- Do you have a parcel waiting, or is your email disappearing?
- Have you considered using Yammer for your communication needs?
- Microsoft is adding more anti-piracy protection to Windows 7 beginning next week.
- With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, many people think back to their first love. Do you remember yours?
- In Windows XP search, can you search everywhere EXCEPT one particularly large directory?
Don’t forget to stop by our Software Center to see what awesome deals we have for you today!