As I sat here pondering what to write about tonight, I heard the song “You’re Gonna Miss This” by Trace Adkins. It talks about taking life slower, and reminding you that once these times are gone… you’re going to miss them. Those of you who will read this who may still be teenagers are likely going to just roll your eyes at this sentiment. You can’t wait to grow up and graduate – to get out in the “real world” and away from your parents. My assistant Kat spent the day yesterday watching her youngest daughter graduate from the 8th grade. Kat says that all Beka talked about afterward was how she’s “almost done” with school, and how she “can’t wait to be out” on her own. I can’t help but shake my head at that, as I know Kat did.
You see, life goes way too fast. If you are guilty of being like Beka, stop and think a moment. It was just yesterday that you started Kindergarten. It was only last week that you learned to ride a bicycle and last month when you were able to hang out at the mall without your parents for the first time. You know I’m right. It all went a lot faster than you thought, didn’t it?
Slow down, and take more time. Time is something we have to stop taking for granted. One day, you’re a child who cannot wait to be an adult. The next day, you are an adult wishing like hell you were still a child without all of the responsibility.
One thing you can do with all the extra time you’re going to take is to blog somewhere like Lockergnome. Write about your life and your passions or hobbies. Join a forum like Geeks and contribute to some of the amazing discussions going on there. And while you’re at it, read some of what your peers have to say!
- Wi-Fi vs. 4G networks – which will come out ahead?
- Do you need to dress “smart” if you are a professional?
- Will Microsoft endure?
- Have you ever had a gadget stolen?
- Warner Brothers is preparing to take over Indie developers.
- What’s the deal with long passwords? Are they really necessary?
- Are iPhone Apps a threat to mobile search?
- Scientists have announced the top ten new Species.
- What are your thoughts on the new Star Trek movies? (Warning – small spoilers included!)