Tech Support to Parents

Why is it next to impossible to give tech support to your parents, even if you’re using remote viewing software? 🙂 Love ’em, but…

MikeQuinn: Hey, I am working on a project for a company called CentraStage they hope to make the remote support for parents a bit easier

about 22 hours ago

mgwolf13: My parents wait for our visit to cram 1 yr of tech support into our visit. I&#39m a gadget & sw geek and husband is microsoft.

about 22 hours ago

hdunnett: @chrispirillo: Helping parents with IT challenges. Got that T&#39shirt!

about a day ago

techcom: I rememeber years ago trying to coach my Grandma over the phone to use a mouse; she held it up to the screen!

about a day ago

electronicmusic: there is a biz model a parental tech support ….

about a day ago

dev_random: generatinal divide to the digital power

about a day ago

sufferfest: cuz they do stupid shit. My dad trashed his entire applications folder. Why? He couldn&#39t tell me…

about a day ago

kevinlcc: for my parents, it&#39s not so much support as “Hi, we have a problem, please fix it while we watch tv.”

about a day ago

djbruce: because they just don&#39t get it. i got my mom on google chat and that took 2 days.

about a day ago

DonRoberts: It&#39s not impossible, but I find being Tech Support for my remote family members requires the patience of a saint…

about a day ago

The_Creeper: Same story here, so I tend to just fix whatever needs it for &#39em instead of trying to talk them through it =P

about a day ago

stephenfisher: Oh man. I hear you. The problem is so many companies give realy bad support and we&#39re often the better option.

about a day ago

PassTheBoll: Giving tech support to them period is impossible,actually.

about a day ago

whatmakesexpert: @CaliLewis @Pistachio @ijustine So, Tell us.. What Makes YOU an Expert? in 140 characters or less..

about a day ago

susiehk: Too true! RT: @chrispirillo: Why is it next to impossible to give tech support to your parents, even if you&#39re using remote viewing software

about a day ago

RelevantMom: I hear a fair amount of sighing and colorful language when my husband has to perform this service.My que to head for the hills

about a day ago

Obscura: A few years back I suggested my parents go to the local small town computer store and hire a geek to come out and fix things.

about a day ago

EdibleApple: no kidding! I think parents in general are the only people who use a quintuple click when trying to open something

about a day ago

anthonyryan: HA! Been there far too much. Parents won&#39t ever understand our generation apparently

about a day ago

alfredtwo: No kidding! Doing tech support for my Dad remotely has me looking to buy a plane ticket to do it in person.

about a day ago

rajtilak: I believe that parents are born technologically challanged. They don&#39t acquire it, it&#39s their birthright.

about a day ago

tamegoeswild: with you on that. I usually have to pop a few blood pressure pills afterwards.

about a day ago

IrrationalArt: do you know a mac app that works like Afloat (window transparency) only for non Cocoa applications?

ZoliErdos: C&#39mon. I can&#39t do it in the same room:-(

about a day ago

simpso1ja: Funny you would say that. Just last night, I shut down remote desktop app and port on mom&#39s machine. Local support only…

about a day ago

JasonLandals: It&#39s even worse when my mom calls me at work for tech support. I work corporate IT and she gets the work version of her son…

about a day ago

charlyjl: the term Patience takes on new meaning when helping parents (and siblings) with tech problems.

about a day ago

wmcleanw: I&#39ve been there.

divinjohn: second that!

about a day ago

alliecine: lol it will never be easy

about a day ago

chrispowell: that is why i am glad that my dad is a geek

about a day ago

5 thoughts on “Tech Support to Parents”

1. sometimes my dad makes me wonder how he ended up a computer science prof. when after 2 hours him and my mom (who has a masters in it also) couldnt figure out how to put songs onto an ipod and ended up calling me.

2. My Dad thinks MSN is the internet and can only look at a site if I email him a link on hotmail. On the phone the other day he kept telling me there was only one picture on a site I was trying to show him. After about an hour I finally realized he didn’t know how to resize the window. ack!

3. Give me a break!
    All one has to do is look on here and Geeks Forum to see “how much you (don’t)know!

In my family, I’m the one that builds new computers for my kids, albeit they’re over 40 yrs old now.

I also have a Comp. repair business and there are more than a few people that I have worked for that I wished I could say, ” Pull out the plug, pack up the computer and take it back to the store. Tell them that you’re too dumb to have a computer!”

Most of the problems I see however are computers messed up in the home by kids who don’t know as much as they think they do and parents who let them try. The rest are just poor discipline on maintaining awareness for viruses, malware and bad links not being checked.

Oh well, it is fun being different. 😉

Comments are closed.