Is Amazon’s Kindle on Fire?

I’m still not ready to look beyond my iPhone for general reading needs.

Yes, the screen is smaller compared to Amazon’s Kindle, and the battery life is certainly shorter – but it offers a much more rich experience for me, and I’ll never forget it at home.

There are some who love their Kindle, some who don’t want it at all, and some (like me) who are still waiting for that killer feature. When I was first asked to look at the Kindle – before it had been announced to the public, mind you – I suggested a few tweaks to the hardware. Looks like one of my suggestions made it into the new product (charging by USB).

That didn’t score me any brownie points, as I’d have to buy my Kindle just like the rest of the galaxy does. Only thing is: I really don’t feel that compelled to buy a Kindle.

With the next iteration of the Kindle set to be released in a few weeks, I asked my Twitter followers what they thought. Within minutes, I received these responses:

sib1013: If they&#39d sell me a *very* cheap license to all the real books I already own, I&#39d go for it. As it is, very little motivation

about 5 minutes ago

cwliner: I&#39m content with audible + my iPod. I&#39ll get a book if I want to see the print.

about 9 minutes ago

jodyreale: I AM sold on it, which, as a converted Luddite, means that pretty much the whole rest of the world is sold on it too.

about 9 minutes ago

DanaDang: definitely not (yet). I still read a news*paper*. I like paper. I like words on paper. so very 17th century

about 11 minutes ago

JasLucien: I use e-reader on my iPhone, but there is no Kindle in Canada. I find it handy to have a book whereever I roam.

about 12 minutes ago

nwwaew: I&#39d rather use my laptop, Axim PDA, or get a tablet PC. More functionality than a Kindle provides.

about 13 minutes ago

CPWestergaard: I try to use the library to satisfy my pleasure reading needs. For non fiction books that I want to own, I want to own them!

about 14 minutes ago

biss13: Colleague got one and hates it. It looks like a prop from the Star Wars. Give it to Apple for redesign!

about 15 minutes ago

PodWorx: If it allowed for access to *any* online blog/rss feed without $$, I&#39d be sold.

about 17 minutes ago

nickusborne: I have the Sony Reader (can&#39t use Kindle up here in Canada) Took some getting used to, but now LOVE it.

about 19 minutes ago

estherschindler: I want a good friend to have a Kindle to let me play with. I&#39m sure I&#39d have fun with one but unsure if I&#39d keep using it.

about 19 minutes ago

supahstah: if I&#39m going 2 read, I prefer to hold a book and turn pages. Last thing i need is more electronic media

about 20 minutes ago

karebear006: There&#39s something about holding a book and flipping pages that I would miss too much if I had a kindle.

about 20 minutes ago

firespyer: same, was excited about google supporting iPhone&#39s with mobilebooks

about 20 minutes ago

brandontonio: negative ghost rider, I would simply prefer kindle reader software for the laptop

about 20 minutes ago

SRasmussen: I&#39m not sold on the Kindle. I like books. Real books, the smell and feel of paper. I like the library, and going there.

about 21 minutes ago

ChuckSmith: My girlfriend and I want one sooo bad, but they&#39re not available outside the USA yet. 🙁

about 21 minutes ago

andylevy: Not sold on the Kindle til there&#39s a back light.

about 21 minutes ago

thancrus: i like tangible books myself…. i read so few and far between its a waste for me

about 22 minutes ago

mackney: just another screen to mess my eyes up after a full day and night in front of a TFT. Audio books FTW.

about 23 minutes ago

Christyxcore: I can read on the iPhone. No need for a Kindle

about 24 minutes ago

hamlesh: i like the constantly connected side of kindle, but no support in UK 🙁 the sony is pop here, but rubbish imo.

about 24 minutes ago

gurubrandon: I prefer an etch-a-sketch.

about 24 minutes ago

wizardElite: I&#39m not sold on a Kindle yet either. For the price of $359 I would much rather buy a netbook. #kindle2

about 24 minutes ago

einarhagen: Kindles are not in my near future at all.

about 24 minutes ago

jeos80: me neither, i dont see the extra value in it that definitely makes me get one

about 24 minutes ago

rawmeet: nope, not yet. not at this price. Make it 150 and I will pre-order 🙂 are you listening, #amazon?

about 24 minutes ago

TeQ: Who needs another device to lug around? Give me an iphone/android reader any day.

about 25 minutes ago

alwinter: Kindle and it&#39s DRM formats = bleh.

about 25 minutes ago

suraider2001: I bought a kindle for my bf at xmas and he loves it he a bookworm IT guy

about 25 minutes ago

yenra: There is always a right time to buy something one wants, and if that is a Kindle, this is the time (as when iPhone went 3G).

about 26 minutes ago

jrsmithers: no not really, the price point is still to high for me

about 26 minutes ago

skyygirl5000: i would want to buy one, but think it&#39s silly to spend that $$ now.

about 26 minutes ago

pharbeson: Can&#39t see myself carrying a Kindle around. iPhone readers fit in my pocket. And real books are cheap.

about 27 minutes ago

sacgs: i&#39m not sold on getting a Kindle either. what would I use it for, i just don&#39t see it paying off any time soon.

about 27 minutes ago

harrysaxon23: Not in the slightest. Too expensive, too big, too restrictive. Convenience of Stanza on iPhone > paper-like screen.

about 27 minutes ago

k1prd: I want one but $359 USD is still just too steep for a grayscale text display pad. macbook + free google books for me for now.

about 27 minutes ago

bgramer: We ordered K 1.0 and are happy enough that we were upgraded to 2.0. Wife is a voracious reader, so it makes sense for us.

about 27 minutes ago

johnpauldickie: it seems strange to me.

willplatnick: I&#39m sold, getting rid of my PS3 to get it

about 28 minutes ago

dewbie: Not yet I am waiting for a few more features

about 28 minutes ago

mattyran: It&#39s going to be a while before I get any ebook reader. I&#39m still fully sold on the tactile qualities of printed book 1.0

about 28 minutes ago

tonysteward: sold on it, would love one, limited in resources at the moment though 🙂

about 28 minutes ago

ihateclowns: my wife is sold on a Kindle, which makes the buying decision much easier for me 🙂 I get to play with hers

about 28 minutes ago

marinesetwas: i think i want a Kindle badly. But it simply is not out yet in Germany. Carrier seems to be missing. T-Mobile not willing?

about 28 minutes ago

Tad: You know I love mine Chris… Just finished reading a book on it – looking forward to the next.

about 28 minutes ago

brandonacox: Same feelings – I still like books with pages and paper. I like to dogear things – that damages kindles.

about 28 minutes ago

RealTweeter: Until it smells like a paperback&#39s pages, it&#39s not happening for me.

about 28 minutes ago

woodwindguy24: can&#39t you read books on an iPhone too? Why not just buy an iPhone instead of a kindle???

ahmedbaig05: Hard books ftw.lol

about 28 minutes ago

TimBrazer: I have an iPod Touch. That&#39s all need.

about 29 minutes ago

Hawkee: Not at all, I&#39m quite happy with my iPod Touch!

about 29 minutes ago

5 thoughts on “Is Amazon’s Kindle on Fire?”

1. I absolutely love my Kindle. It is the right size for me, fairly easy to use and content is free to cheap. I have access to Amazon on line as well as that little thing called the INTERNET. I can get any blog for FREE or pay a minimal fee to have it delivered to me. I can create my own content for the device and it will even play music while I read.

Very nice device.

2. The Kindle x devices have a lot going for them apart from their industrial design – stinks, why that keyboard – and missing functionality – touchscreen touchscreen touchscreen please.

Oh, and go on destroy your market and make it US only. Why oh why oh why.

3. Wel I’m a fan but despite being a fan I still think these devices are waaay too expensive – who are all these people whoh ave $359 to spend ? They could hack 75% off the price and still make a profit. So I’ll be waiting (probably a long time) in the meantime I’ll still blog about them of course !

4. I think the main issue here is the disparity of the true cost to the publishers of e-books versus physical books. The answer is obvious in that the publishers are laughing all the way to the bank by basically charging as much for a single downloadable file as for the volume that is pulled off the rack at B&N or ordered from Amazon. Think about the difference in overhead… The masses need to think this scam over and demand more reasonable rates for electronic media by keeping their credit cards tucked safely away until reasonable requests are acknowledged. I do not know all the details regarding the proprietary nature of the files downloaded to the Kindle, but I would want to truly own that file (surely we have all grown weary of the spector of DRM), i.e. I would expect to be able to use that file on multiple devices and have the ability to perform backups to my server and/or optical media. For now, I will content myself with curling up with my musty old volumes under lamplight, cup of tea in hand.

5. the Kindle reminds me of something i saw in an old school Star Trek episode, which is a good selling point… it’s a bit expensive tho

Comments are closed.