This is Tyler Swett’s submission for the HP Magic Giveaway. Feel free to leave comments for this article as you see fit – your feedback is certainly welcomed! If you’d like to submit your own how-to, what-is, or top-five list, you can send it to me. Views and opinions of this writer are not necessarily my own:
Here are my top five ways to Geek out your holidays!
- Design really cool holiday cards on your computer. Why buy lame holiday cards from the stores when you can hop on your computer and print up a few cards that really show your true inner geek? For even more fun, add CDs or DVDs to your cards that are filled with slideshows of family pictures and movies to really spread the holiday cheer to your friends and family. By making holiday cards yourself, you might even save some money, and at the same time, you’ll be showing your friends and family how geeky you truly are.
- Have an old computer or toy that you’re not using? Gift it to a friend or family member. The people who will appreciate this most are the people who don’t have a computer or cool toy right now. You could give that laptop you have sitting in the corner of the room to a little nephew or niece. Not only will they appreciate it, but you’ll still have money left to buy different gifts for your friends and family. To make your gift really special, try making something to accompany your gift. For example, if you gave a laptop to your young nephew, try making him a game based off of a drawing he made in his art class at school, or maybe customize an old mouse you have with various items to make it look like their favorite animal or something of interest to them. This can make your gift really special.
- Get yourself something you’ve always wanted. Whether it be that new computer or your favorite action figure, it’s always fun to get something new. Not only will it help you find your inner geek, but it will also get you in that fun holiday spirit. TIP: For extra geeky fun, find out practically everything about your new toy and show all your friends. It will make you feel much more geeky, and it might actually help you find some new friends that have similar interests as you.
- Help someone with their cool new holiday gifts. If your friend gets a new MP3 player, but has no idea how to set it up, help them out. Your friend will most likely praise you for a job well done, which will make your feel even more geeky. You’ll also be helping someone, and after all, the holidays are all about giving and helping other people in need.
- Make a cool light show. Whether you simply make your Christmas tree blink to your favorite holiday tunes, or you have your entire house light up in succession to your own personalized holiday radio station, nothing is cooler or more geeky than a nice holiday light show. TIP: It’s easy enough to go out and buy a kit to make your own holiday light show, but for added geeky fun, try building your own. There are many ways to do this. Depending on how elaborate you want your show to be, it can actually be quite easy. Just look around on Google for a project that would work for you.
This holiday season, try to reach out a hand and spread the joy of being a geek. Try some of the things mentioned above, and tweak them to fit the goals and desires of your friends and your family. Not only will you feel better, but your family and friends will feel better too.
If you have any other ideas on how to make your holiday a little more geeky, or if you’ve made a special holiday gift for someone, be sure to add it to the comments below.