This is Casey Chevalier’s submission for the HP Magic Giveaway. Feel free to leave comments for this article as you see fit – your feedback is certainly welcomed! If you’d like to submit your own how-to, what-is, or top-five list, you can send it to me. Views and opinions of this writer are not necessarily my own:
Do you know what homebrew is? If you don’t, this is a must read. To use these applications on a PSP, you will need Custom Firmware(Cfw). Cfw is only available on the PSP 1000s and 2000s without the TA83v3 motherboard. Homebrew is where the firmware is “hacked” to run applications that people make – and unfortunately, it will void your warranty. After you go to Cfw, you will never go back to official firmware.
With Cfw, you can do so many things that you would never of thought of doing on your PSP. You can even write programs for your PSP! There are literally thousands of applications, and more coming out each day (for PSPs with Cfw). The applications range from emulators, to programs that enable you to watch YouTube and other video web sites. The possibilities are limitless for you when you have a homebrew-enabled PSP.
Some of the best homebrew applications include:
- Cxmb – this allows you to put custom themes on your PSP. This is great because you don’t have to mess with the flash 0, so there is no risk of bricking your PSP. You can find custom themes at many sites – just search Google. You can also create your own custom themes with Ctf manager available at: http://dl.qj.net/CTF-Manager-v5.00-PSP-HomebrewApplications/pg/12/fid/24760/catid/151. This is really cool if you want a unique look for your PSP. Note: you have to download this for the specific firmware you have. That is why I am not providing a link for Cxmb.
- The next application is Ultimate PSP Tube. This allows you to watch videos from YouTube and many other video web sites. When you use this, it connects to your wireless network, so that you can watch videos from wereever you are. The current PSP browser doesn’t allow you to watch videos via your PSP. You can get this application from: http://dl.qj.net/Ultimate-PSPTube-v1.2-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/24992/catid/151. This is a must-have application if you have Cfw – it might even tempt you to switch to Cfw.
- RemoteJoyLite allows you to stream what is happening on your PSP directly to your PC or Mac via USB. This is great if you don’t have a PSP 2000 and the appropriate cables to connect it to your television. Also, it is perfect for when you want to make videos of you playing your games. I would really recommended this if you are tired of playing your games on a small screen. RemoteJoyLite can be downloaded at:http://dl.qj.net/RemoteJoyLite-0.19PSPHomebrewApplications/pg/12/fid/25081/catid/151 and the source code can be downloaded at: http://dl.qj.net/RemoteJoyLite-0.19-(source)-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/25082/catid/151 – yes!
- iR Shell is one of the best programs for the PSP with Cfw It has so many features. You can program it to be your remote if you have a PSP 1000. The PSP 2000, unfortunately, doesn’t have infrared capabilities. To program your remote to your PSP, all you do is point the remote at the PSP’s eye and it learns it. The utility also has an alarm clock that you can set to play one of your songs. It allows you to listen to music when you are playing a game, use your computer as somewhat of a memory stick via WiFi, and many other features. You can find iR Shell at: http://dl.qj.net/iR-Shell-v4.8-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/24861/catid/151
- Finally, in my list of must-have applications is Portable VNC Viewer. As you might have gathered, this application allows you to control your computer remotely – but there is more. You can see your computer’s screen on your PSP’s screen. This works via WiFi. It is a MUST HAVE. You can find it at :http://dl.qj.net/Portable-VNC-1.2.8-CFW-3.x-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/16758/catid/151 – and the source code is here: http://dl.qj.net/Portable-VNC-v1.2.8-source-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/16759/catid/151
Cfw will open seemingly-limitless possibilities with your PSP. The list of things that you can do with your PSP just keeps getting longer by the day. If you are a geek and haven’t tried Cfw yet, you really should.