This is Tyler Tufte’s submission for the HP Magic Giveaway. Feel free to leave comments for this article as you see fit – your feedback is certainly welcomed! If you’d like to submit your own how-to, what-is, or top-five list, you can send it to me. Views and opinions of this writer are not necessarily my own:
What is Evernote? Evernote is a free, cloud-based note taking and organizational tool. It is beneficial to those who use multiple computers, travel or those who are sick of their desktop being cluttered with sticky notes (physical or software based).
- All your notes are just a couple mouse clicks away from anywhere in the world. A simple login to http://www.evernote.com will give you access to view, edit, or create notes. Windows and Mac users will also enjoy the benefit of using the client based software which will give you access anytime, online or not. If you are a Firefox user, you will also be able to select text and/or images on a website and click a toolbar shortcut to save the selection directly to your account.
- Creating notes is as simple as typing in a document. You can customize your notes with fancy fonts and colors. Organization of the notes is also a breeze. Notes can be grouped into customizable “Notebooks”. They can also be tagged with user-defined words. This is useful if the subject matter has multiple descriptions or key words. Just tag it with whatever words best describe the note. Then you can filter through all of your notes by tags. Of course you can always type in the search bar to search through any text (tags, OCR, text within notes, etc).
- Say you are at lunch with some business partners and the napkin becomes the destination of all the important decisions. Now what do you do? Retype everything? What about those great diagrams? Problem solved. Just use an iSight Note. This uses Mac’s built in iSight camera to snap a photo of hand written notes, business cards or any other information that you do not want to loose. Best off all, Evernote’s servers will do OCR text recognition on the image and automatically index any words it recognizes so they will be searchable. All those who use Windows Mobile, an iPhone or an iPod Touch will be able to take advantage of Evernote’s mobile application. Your notes will be with you all of the time and you can even utilize your camera to snap notes directly from your device or even make voice notes.
- Another feature of Evernote is the ability to share information with anybody. Say this Christmas you decide to build your Christmas list in Evernote. With a simple checkbox, you can make any note accessible to anyone via a public URL. The cool thing is that your note becomes a downloadable PDF for anybody to enjoy, as long as they know the correct URL.
- If security is a top priority for you, then you can upgrade to the premium service for a small monthly or yearly fee. Now, your account will be protected with SSL encryption and will have more monthly allotted bandwidth for all of you power users out there.
I have been using this service for several months now and I can honestly say that I would be lost with out it. The ease of use made my transition from an ad-hoc mess of papers, software stickies, and plain text files to Evernote an enjoyable one!