Lately, I’ve been asking for all of you in countries outside the US to send me emails with a list of the foods popular to your culture. I love food… and I love to learn about other places and people. The response has been excellent! Keep them coming. This video is all about Peruvian food.
- Ceviche. (I think its called Marinated fish in the USA) Can you eat fish with potatoes, sweet potatoes, lettuce, lots of realllly hot chili and onions? Well if you can, you should try this. Remember… its very hot and you may feel a bit dizzy after eating it. Definitely don´t eat it before doing any physically demanding activity.
- Seco a la Norteña This is a really strong dish. It has either lamb meat or chicken, with rice (btw most south-american contries use rice as their primary dish), tomatoes, onions, and beans. This dish is particularly famous beacuse once you eat it, you will start to feel sleepy.
- Arroz Chaufa. Most people will actually consider this is a chinese dish, but its not. A talented chef came to Peru in the early 1930s, and he invented his delicious dish. It happens to be the favorite of mine. As I said before, rice is used to make most dishes and this one is no exception. Along with the rice, it has chicken, chinese onions, traditional onions and Sillao. I don´t know if there is even an equivalent to this in the USA. I think this is the dish I’m going to miss most when I leave peru.
- Aji de Gallina. This has rice, potatoes, chicken and (i dont know how to describe this but jus look at the picture and i hope u can undertand what i mean). It has a kind of a mash. It’s delicious, although it feels a bit strange when you eat it.
- Chicha Morada. This is the Peruvian drink of excellence along with Pisco, made of a special purple corn. It’s delicious… just add some lemon juice, piña juice and sugar and you will be good to go.
- Ceviche This is a mix of fish, lemon, corn, sweet potatoes and seasonings. This is an excellent dish Chris, if you ever come to Peru you MUST eat Ceviche.
- Arroz con pollo This dish is basically boiled chicken with green rice, corn, carrots and a good complement to it is onions.
- Lomo Saltado This is meat with french fries, fried onions and tomatoes. This is nothing like the “meat and fries” you get at your local McDonald’s. It is very tasty. The onions and tomatoes give it more of a spicy “kick”.
- Causa Rellena This dish is basically one layer of potatoe at the top. Then in the middle either chicken, avocados, or onions. Then you have another potatoe layer at the bottom.
- Anticuchos This may sound gross to some people, but it’s made of the cow’s HEART Cooked on the grill with a spicy sauce, it is awesome.
Want to embed this video on your own site, blog, or forum? Use this code or download the video: