One of our community members emailed to ask me how he can find the woman of his dreams on MySpace. So… I decided to give you all my Top 5 tips for Internet dating.
- Change your handle. If you have an online name that has to do with something Geeky, or a gamertag, it will be more difficult to attract women. Many people think that “birds of a feather flock together”, but that’s not always true. Meeting someone with a little in common can be just as good of a match. You definitely don’t want things to get boring. Having separate interests is a good thing, I promise you. If a girl is a “little” into computers, and sees your name has Linux in it, she may write you off without ever getting to know the real you.
- Don’t talk Tech… unless she’s into that. If you’re trying to get to know a girl, don’t just spout off everything you know about computers. Find out what she’s into, what interests her. Make an effort to talk about those things, and to understand them. Who knows? You may end up finding new interests for yourself, as well.
- Learn how to write. Being online is a whole new ball game. The first impression you give… and likely the only impression for awhile… is through your writing style. If you are using l33t speak, or even chat speak, you could turn off a very intelligent woman very quickly. How you write will convey the type of person you are. Take the time to check your grammar and spelling. Take the time to let who you are show through.
- Don’t be a drooling Fanboi. If a woman is worth having, she’s already getting emails and IM’s telling her how wonderful and perfect she is. She may hear over and over she’s “beautiful” and “sweet”. Don’t trip over your own tongue. Be realistic. Women can see through nonsense compliments and drivel. They want something that is real, and solid.
- Remember MySpace is NOT a dating service. It’s a social networking site. If you’re looking for love, that’s not the place to look. I recommend a free service called PlentyOfFish.com.
I met Ponzi online. Internet love really can happen, if you put some effort into it. It’s just as real, and just as lasting, as any other relationship.
Want to embed this video on your own site, blog, or forum? Use this code or download the video: