http://live.pirillo.com/ – In the past, I have never really used VPN. It just seems so complicated and costly. However, using open wireless networks while out and about, I’m definitely concerned about privacy and safety.
My buddy WirelessPacket from our live chat room is on Skype with me tonight. He has convinced me that it’s time to try Hamachi. Hamachi is a free program that allows you to create your own Virtual Private Network, or VPN. He has made an excellent video tutorial demonstrating exactly how to use Hamachi. From his description:
“Hamachi is a simple, secure, and effective alternative to VPN. If you have ever wanted to access your home computer from the office, hotel or internet cafe look no further. With Hamachi there is no need to configure your firewall by opening ports and exposing you computer to nasty threats lurking on the web”
A standard VPN encrypts the traffic you send and receive… email, IM, web browsing, etc. A VPN makes your Internet activity more secure over a wireless network, but it’s also quite costly. Hamachi allows you to create your own VPN basically… for free! You can add other users to it, and share files with them in a secure manner. Some of the features of Hamachi:
- LAN over the Internet Arrange multiple computers into their own secure network, just as if they were connected by a physical cable.
- Remote Access Remote control any machine on your network with Remote Desktop.
- Files and Network Drives Access critical files and network drives.
- Zero-configuration Works without having to adjust a firewall or router.
- Security Industry leading encryption and authentication.
- Cost Effective Basic version is free to use.
Thanks, WirelessPacket, for showing this to me. This is definitely something I’m going to start using, and I hope others will, as well.
Want to embed this video in your blog? Use this code: